Friday, May 27, 2011

Respect Life - Walking the walk!

“We are called to act with justice; we are called to love tenderly; we are called to serve one another: To walk humbly with God”

This song was ringing in my ears the whole way over to church. I was attending an 8am Mass for Respect Life and I was going to meet a woman who was scheduled to have an abortion but because of the wonderful ministry of the “sidewalk pray group” she changed her mind and was due with a baby boy in two weeks. Why was I meeting her? I crochet baby blankets on behalf of the Respect Life Committee here at St. Benedict Church and was going to give her my latest blankets.

I was nervous but excited all at the same time. I just wanted to hug this woman and I indeed did just that. I never met her before. She was in the pew with her other two children – both daughters. I introduced myself and told her I was a mother of four boys. She smiled. I held her hand and said that I made this blanket with love in hopes to keep her son warm. Tears naturally filled my eyes and we just looked at each other and I gave her a hug and told her “I love you”. She said “I love you too”…and then, the Mass was about to start so I grabbed her hand one more time.

I most likely will never see her again or her baby. I did give her my phone number and address in case she ever needed anything – babysitting, clothes, money or just a friend. It was the right thing to do. During the Mass, I prayed for her to continue to have strength. Some long days and nights are ahead of her. She deserves a chance to be successful. After the baby is born, she needs to find employment, then child care perhaps, etc…. her journey will continue. I will keep praying for her. I will never forget her face.

If you don’t think you have time to make a difference in Respect Life, think again. There are so many ways to get involved in building the Kingdom of God. I found a way to help and all it involves is a little extra time at home. It’s something small but I know God values the small things we do. If were not “serving” someone daily, then were missing an opportunity to grow in our Faith. Consider how you can serve Respect Life.

Sincerely ~Maura MacDonald
*****
For more information on St.Benedict's Respect Life ministry - http://bit.ly/fhTvw3